Month: July 2014
We’ve all seen it.
- Posts that denounce Israel for what’s going on in Gaza.
- Posts that support Israel for their right to protect their people.
- Posts that denounce the Palestinians as terrorists.
- Posts that support Palestinians as they fall victims to US military support of Israel.
Here’s the thing. I don’t think we’re going to change anyone’s mind by posting on FB or Twitter. If I wanted to find out more about the incredibly complicated issues of the Middle East, the last place I would turn to is FB or Twitter.
I am no expert on the complicated issues of Israel/Palestine.
But here are some things I do know.
- Is Israel innocent in it’s dealings with the Palestinians? No.
- Are the Palestinians innocent in it’s dealings with Israel? No.
- Is Israel victim to terrorist attacks? Yes.
- Are the Palestinians victim to terrorism? Yes.
- Both parties are victims. Both parties are guilty.
The issue for me isn’t who’s right or wrong. I don’t think we’ll ever know.
The issue is not who started this war. I don’t think we’ll ever know.
All I know is that unless someone stops shooting, more people will die.
So please. Stop the killing…
Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller is a self-avowed and vocal athiest. He tells of a time when he was given a Bible by someone after one of his shows and Penn says:
I’ve always said, you know, that I don’t respect people who don’t proselytize. I don’t respect that at all. If you believe that there’s a heaven and hell, and people could be going to hell, or not getting eternal life or whatever, and you think that, well, it’s not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward…How much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? I mean, if I believed beyond a shadow of doubt that a truck was coming at you, and you didn’t believe it, and that truck was bearing down on you, there is certain point where I tackle you. And is this more important than that…”